Mpumalanga brings back the gold

Team Mpumalanga

The Mpumalanga Deep Sea Angling Association would like to congratulate team captain Stef Bester and anglers Ferdi Brits & Andri Bester for taking top honors in the 42nd Rumbley Bay Tuna Inter Provincial tournament hosted by the Cape Boat and Ski-Boat Club.

According to the competition report written by Greg Pengelly, foul weather was once again an integral part of the tournament but a few good fishing days made up for this fact.

The Mpumalanga team caught two yellowfin tuna weighing 63kg and 65.6kg respectively.  This was enough to earn the gold medals while Zululand took the silver.

Competition Report by Greg Pengelly:

Well the competition has finally arrived. Unfortunately the weather AGAIN has not played game and we started with a roaring north-wester on Sunday afternoon with lots of rain.Teams began arriving from about 2 pm and registration began from 4 pm onwards.Derek had everything under control after his trip back from Fort Lauderdale USA and was raring to go. Donald the PRO had most of the facilities in place and the club looked fantastic. Colleen, Stuart and Mike were very busy and with help from the committee and club members we were ready for the comp opening.It was great to welcome all the provincial and club teams to the comp and re- establish contacts with old friends from afar.We had invited a celebrity team to fish this year as well so it was great to welcome Adrian Kuiper and Mike McCully ( The Bucanner) to the club.

Dolf Arenholdt  kicked the proceeding off at 6 pm . Mike, our chairman and Lee the WPDSAA chairman officially opened the comp which lead into the boat draw. Teams captains and skippers then got together for a briefing and the election of the weather committee.  This was followed by a finger supper and the team auctions which was enjoyed by all.A special thanks to the ladies in the kitchen for all their work.The rest of the evening was spent at the bar.with old friends until 4 am on Monday morning!!!!

The weather committee agreed that the Monday was  off for fishing due to the storm raging outside and that breakfast was at 7:30 on Moday morning. They would re-look at the weather at 5 am on Tuesday morning for a gap.

DAY1 . MONDAY …..Teams rolled in from 7:30 until 10 am and enjoyed the fantastic breakfast that is well known at CBSC. A special thanks to the early breakfast crews of Dave, Arend, Peter, Finky and Farge for a job well done. The rest of the day was left to getting ready for Tuesday with Janet and Sue making the lunch packs and the rest of us sleeping off the previous night.The weather had decreased a little and although the wind was still blowing the sea was still up. Supper was a steak night at the club and the rest of the evening around the bar.

DAY 2.. Tuesday….. Breakfast was served from 5 am at the club and a weather committee meeting.Although the wind had now swung to the South East and the bay looked great the swells in the deep were still unfishable. After breakfast we decided to create an informal comp and let all the teams participate in a snoek competition with prizes for the largest and smallest snoek from Buffles Bay. Bait was collected and kit sorted out and the boats launched from 6:30 with lines up at 1 PM.It was great to finally get the fleet away with some great weather.

The boats returned from about 11 am  with full house on board and proceeded with the weigh in..All teams caught plenty of snoek and it was great to see the teams enjoy themselves as some had never caught snoek before. Everyone took some snoek for the pot and the rest was donated to charity.Supper was served at 7 and a relaxing evening or some well deserved sleep.

DAY 3 … Wednesday…   The wind has come up overnight and the decision is to call Wednesday off for fishing. Stuart organized a POKER day at the club with games running from 10 am till late. Riaan won 1st prize with Ashley close behind. Well done Guys…..

DAY   4     Thursday   …..   After a good nights rest the wind finally settled down overnight and it was an early breakfast at 4:45am with a weather call at 5:00 am. THE COMP WAS ON …. I REPEAT ON…….. Then it was bait sales with Francois , lunch packs from the kitchen and kit loaded for the day ahead. Club members acted as jockeys and assisted in getting the fleet away on time. All the boats assembled off boat rock for the “BLESSING OF THE FLEET”. After a few encouraging words from Stuart the fleet left at 7:00am. Once the boats had all gone we all settled done to an enjoyable breakfast and plans for the rest of the day. Since all the boats left at the same time we had a bet going at the club of who was going to get to the point first.

Gotcha made the first call in so I guess Mike blazed himself to the point or made an early call to confuse us… Anyway they were all off heading from 220 degrees to 260 degrees from the point 28 miles into the warm blue water..

The weather improved as the day progressed and we settled down to the days work at the club. Janet and Sue busy in the kitchen, Stuart with the fuel, Colleen with the admin . Donald with getting the club and weigh station ready for their returns after 4 pm..

It was lines up at 3:00pm and Running for home. All the boat headed back to Simonstown for re fuelling and back to the club, Weigh-in started from  5:30 and lasted until dark. Two yellowfin of 66 KG were weighed and one small Longfin. Most teams had strikes but lost fish after hours of fighting on 10Kg line. That is what makes this comp so exciting……..experience counts…..

Supper was served at seven and back to the bar for team discussions and plans for the next day, some declaring never to try this type of fishing again……Discussions lasted late into the night until everyone finally crashed  early Friday morning.

DAY  5   FRIDAY …   The wind was much the same as it was on Thursday , so it was all station for launch at 6:30 and off for another days fishing in the deep. The fleet arrived back after 5:30 pm and weigh-in again. Four Yellowfin were weighed all in the 60 Kg class with two Longfin. A long but better day at sea. Supper and finally bed………Pics available here

DAY 6….. SATURDAY….The wind had picked up overnight and was predicted to drop after 5 am. The wind was coming in from the SE and  only dropped after 9 am. The weather committee sent out SHYGUY the weather boat to appraise the conditions off the point. After much discussions and estimates the final decision was to GO with WHITE MARLIN the Control boat monitoring the conditions. Although the wind was still blowing 20 knots at the point they pushed out only to turn and call the comp off for safety reasons……

Anyway the fleet returned to base, a good cleanup and prepare for the prize giving later at 7pm.

Prize Giving   Pics available here.